The Matrix Organizational structure has a great influence on Project Management. The Matrix has evolved to fill the need of an organization to deal with great project size and complexity. This has increased organizational complexity.
However, it has also greatly added to the versatility and effectiveness of Project Management. The Matrix has permitted Project Management to be effective on both large and small projects.
The Matrix Organization
A Matrix Organization is a flexible approach to structuring teams and sharing resources.
A Matrix Organization is one in which there is a dual or multiple managerial accountability and responsibility. It may mean different things to different people and in different industries.
- There are usually 2 chains of command. One along functional lines and the other along project, product, or client lines. Geographic location is another chain of command.
- The Matrix Organization form may vary depending on what position the Project Manager holds. Based on the organizational principles, a Matrix will be considered first where there is a balance of power between the project and functional managers.
Yet, a Matrix Organization is not for everyone. It will only work if the entire organization, from top management to project personnel, are thoroughly sold on the Matrix concept. When the Matrix is accepted as a way of life, it can bring great advantages to the company in improving output and profit.
Discovering the Advantages of Matrix Organizations
A Matrix will work if everyone involved is a believer and every effort is expended to make it work. When this happens, an outstanding project achievement can result.
- Retention of Disciplinary Teams. Teams of functional experts and specialists are kept together even though projects come and go. A synergy occurs resulting in increased innovation and productivity.
- High Morale. Workers in the Matrix respond first to the morale-building experience of working on a successful project resulting in visible achievements. Very seldom is there any moral problem occurring.
- Development of Project Managers. It is an excellent training ground for prospective Project Managers. Promising candidates can easily be spotted in the multidisciplinary project environment.
Matrix Management may have its complexities and disadvantages. But, advantages always surpass disadvantages when companies are equipped with the fundamental concepts and framework of a Matrix Organization. This approach enables organizations to solve multidisciplinary problems.
Interested in gaining more understanding of the Matrix Organization? You can learn more and download an editable PowerPoint about Matrix Organization (Primer) here on the Flevy documents marketplace.
Do You Find Value in This Framework?
You can download in-depth presentations on this and hundreds of similar business frameworks from the FlevyPro Library. FlevyPro is trusted and utilized by 1000s of management consultants and corporate executives. Here’s what some have to say:
“My FlevyPro subscription provides me with the most popular frameworks and decks in demand in today’s market. They not only augment my existing consulting and coaching offerings and delivery, but also keep me abreast of the latest trends, inspire new products and service offerings for my practice, and educate me in a fraction of the time and money of other solutions. I strongly recommend FlevyPro to any consultant serious about success.”
– Bill Branson, Founder at Strategic Business Architects
“As a niche strategic consulting firm, Flevy and FlevyPro frameworks and documents are an on-going reference to help us structure our findings and recommendations to our clients as well as improve their clarity, strength, and visual power. For us, it is an invaluable resource to increase our impact and value.”
– David Coloma, Consulting Area Manager at Cynertia Consulting
“As a small business owner, the resource material available from FlevyPro has proven to be invaluable. The ability to search for material on demand based our project events and client requirements was great for me and proved very beneficial to my clients. Importantly, being able to easily edit and tailor the material for specific purposes helped us to make presentations, knowledge sharing, and toolkit development, which formed part of the overall program collateral. While FlevyPro contains resource material that any consultancy, project or delivery firm must have, it is an essential part of a small firm or independent consultant’s toolbox.”
– Michael Duff, Managing Director at Change Strategy (UK)
“FlevyPro has been a brilliant resource for me, as an independent growth consultant, to access a vast knowledge bank of presentations to support my work with clients. In terms of RoI, the value I received from the very first presentation I downloaded paid for my subscription many times over! The quality of the decks available allows me to punch way above my weight – it’s like having the resources of a Big 4 consultancy at your fingertips at a microscopic fraction of the overhead.”
– Roderick Cameron, Founding Partner at SGFE Ltd
“Several times a month, I browse FlevyPro for presentations relevant to the job challenge I have (I am a consultant). When the subject requires it, I explore further and buy from the Flevy Marketplace. On all occasions, I read them, analyze them. I take the most relevant and applicable ideas for my work; and, of course, all this translates to my and my clients’ benefits.”
– Omar Hernán Montes Parra, CEO at Quantum SFE