Please login here to save this document to a list.
If you don't have an account, you can register for free here.
BENEFITS OF DOCUMENT
Measuring The ROI of Training (Guidelines & Templates)
This guideline describes how to measure the ROI of training step-by-step, with examples of its implementation. Furthermore, this guideline will include a variety of forms and templates to aid in the execution of the ROI of Training assessment.
Training ROI measures how much an organization gains from its investment in training. It is a financial metric that expands on the benefits and business results relative to a training program. It is not a training satisfaction measure, which indicates how happy the employees are with the training.
Using various measures, you can understand the business impact of a particular workshop, training program, or leadership course, and convert it to monetary value.
Determining the Performance Indicators to be Measured Before and After the Training
This first step is the most important step in the process of measuring the ROI of training (hereinafter abbreviated as ROTI). We need measurable and quantifiable performance indicators before we can measure and calculate ROTI.
The following are some examples of measurable performance indicators that can be used to determine ROTI:
• Number of customer complaints
• Customer satisfaction score
• Sales volume
• Average sales volume per salesperson
• Quantity of production
• Number of manufacturing defects
• Employee Retention
• Number of work accidents
• Employee productivity
• Employee absenteeism rate
Why measure training ROI?
1. Making a case for spending money on training – Your organization's leadership team needs to approve most big training programs. Showing the benefits of past training programs will persuade decision-makers to invest confidently in training.
2. Ensuring that you're investing in the right training initiatives – Measuring training ROI helps you compare the impact of different trainings in terms of ROI. Usually, the training budget is one of the first items that get cut when there are financial turmoil times in an organization. So, choosing the right initiative is important because you might not be able to invest in all training programs.
3. Prioritizing – By understanding the ROI your training initiatives bring, you can prioritize investing in training that has the highest impact on organizational performance improvement.
Measuring and showcasing the value of training has helped create – If you can show the value the training has helped create to the leadership and other stakeholders, you're more likely to secure a budget for the future training initiatives.
Challenges of measuring training ROI
1. Not setting clear goals – A lack of clear goals for what you want to achieve with the training makes it difficult to show its impact. What's more, it causes confusion about what data you need to collect to prove the ROI.
2. Lack of data – Talking about data, calculating training ROI requires different types of data from different sources, which is not always easy to gather. You also need to find ways to convert data to monetary value.
3. Isolating the effects of training – There are other factors that might have an impact on the performance that you're aiming to improve with the training, like organizational culture, market conditions, and more. It might be challenging to attribute the achieved results to the training.
Got a question about the product? Email us at [email protected] or ask the author directly by using the "Ask the Author a Question" form. If you cannot view the preview above this document description, go here to view the large preview instead.
Source: Best Practices in Employee Training Word: Measuring the ROI of Training (Guidelines & Templates) Word (DOCX) Document, UJ Consulting
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: UJ CONSULTING
Untung Juanto ST., MM. Founder of UJ Consulting. He is professionally experienced business and management consultant in several local and multinational companies. [read more] He has an experience in managing an effective and efficient company with various approach methods adapted to different industries because He had a career from the lower management level as Supervisor before finally being at the top management level. His Top Management experience started from the position of General Manager, VP Operation, HR Director and Business Development Director
He completed his undergraduate education majoring in Architecture at Diponegoro University, Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia. After that, He continued to Master of Management level majoring in Human Resource Management with cum laude predicate with a GPA of 3.94 at Mercubuana University, Jakarta, Indonesia.
His last work experience as Deputy President Director at Hutahaean Group in charge of 14 business units engaged in various industries including CPO Production, Oil Palm Plantation, Cassava Plantation, Tapioca flour production, 4 and 5 star hotels, waterparks, golf courses and housing with a total of employees more than 3,000 employees.
His biggest achievement was in 2021 when He served as Deputy President Director at Hutahaean Group Indonesia by increasing the company's revenue from IDR 700 billion to IDR 1.1 trillion (y/y) and increasing the profit margin by more than 20%. Doing a turn around on business units that have lost in the last 5 years become profits. In addition, He have also succeeded in creating an efficient and effective management system by redesigning the Business Process Management (BPM), reviewing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Work Instructions and compiling the appropriate Key Performance Indicator Management (KPIM) to increase employee productivity.
He is currently active as a part-time business and management consultant (online) at Enquire Corp. and Flevy Corp. In addition, He also teach part-time at several universities for courses in strategic management, human resource management, project management, entrepreneurship and business.
UJ Consulting has published 171 additional documents on Flevy.
|Download our free compilation of 50+ Strategy & Transformation slides and templates. Frameworks include McKinsey 7-S Strategy Model, Balanced Scorecard, Disruptive Innovation, BCG Experience Curve, and many more. To receive this free download, enter your email address below and click the "Email Me" button.|
Become a People Development Expert
This bundle contains 9 additional documents.
"As a consultant requiring up to date and professional material that will be of value and use to my clients, I find Flevy a very reliable resource.
The variety and quality of material available through Flevy offers a very useful and commanding source for information. Using Flevy saves me time, enhances my expertise and ends up being a good decision."
– Dennis Gershowitz, Principal at DG Associates
"As a niche strategic consulting firm, Flevy and FlevyPro frameworks and documents are an on-going reference to help us structure our findings and recommendations to our clients as well as improve their clarity, strength, and visual power. For us, it is an invaluable resource to increase our impact and value."
– David Coloma, Consulting Area Manager at Cynertia Consulting
"Flevy.com has proven to be an invaluable resource library to our Independent Management Consultancy, supporting and enabling us to better serve our enterprise clients.
The value derived from our [FlevyPro] subscription in terms of the business it has helped to gain far exceeds the investment made, making a subscription a no-brainer for any growing consultancy – or in-house strategy team."
– Dean Carlton, Chief Transformation Officer, Global Village Transformations Pty Ltd.
"FlevyPro provides business frameworks from many of the global giants in management consulting that allow you to provide best in class solutions for your clients."
– David Harris, Managing Director at Futures Strategy
"As a consulting firm, we had been creating subject matter training materials for our people and found the excellent materials on Flevy, which saved us 100's of hours of re-creating what already exists on the Flevy materials we purchased."
– Michael Evans, Managing Director at Newport LLC
"The wide selection of frameworks is very useful to me as an independent consultant. In fact, it rivals what I had at my disposal at Big 4 Consulting firms in terms of efficacy and organization."
– Julia T., Consulting Firm Owner (Former Manager at Deloitte and Capgemini)
"As a small business owner, the resource material available from FlevyPro has proven to be invaluable. The ability to search for material on demand based our project events and client requirements was great for me and proved very beneficial to my clients. Importantly, being able to easily edit and tailor the material for specific purposes helped us to make presentations, knowledge sharing, and toolkit development, which formed part of the overall program collateral. While FlevyPro contains resource material that any consultancy, project or delivery firm must have, it is an essential part of a small firm or independent consultant's toolbox."
– Michael Duff, Managing Director at Change Strategy (UK)
"If you are looking for great resources to save time with your business presentations, Flevy is truly a value-added resource. Flevy has done all the work for you and we will continue to utilize Flevy as a source to extract up-to-date information and data for our virtual and onsite presentations!"
– Debbi Saffo, President at The NiKhar Group
Do You Want to Get Lean?We've assembled 40 Lean Six Sigma guides: Lean Management, Six Sigma, Strategy Planning, Process, and Change Management.
Waste Too Much Time on PowerPoint?Get our FREE PowerPoint Plugin (Flevy Tools) for creating common business diagrams, from Gantt Charts to Harvey Balls.
Do You Run a Consulting Firm?Learn how to level the playing field with global consulting firms, like McKinsey, BCG, Bain, E&Y, and Accenture.
Need Help with PowerPoint or Excel?Have our highly trained staff create the exact documents you need. We offer PowerPoint and Excel document creation services.
FlevyPro (Subscription Service)
Flevy Executive Learning (FEL)
LinkedIn Influencer Marketing
Contact / FAQ / Terms / Privacy
flevyblog (Business Magazine)
Strategy, Marketing, & Sales
Organization, Change, & HR
Health & Safety
Governance, Risk, & Compliance
Customer-centric Design (CCD)
Human Resource Management
Blue Ocean Strategy
COVID-19 Trend Data
Consulting Training Guides
Organizational Culture (OC)
Organizational Design (OD)
Organizational Leadership (OL)
Financial Advising Services (FAS)
Flevy Tools (PowerPoint Plugin)
Lean Six Sigma Training Guides
Post-merger Integration (PMI)
Supply Chain Management (SCM)
Small Business Owner
© 2012-2023 Copyright. Flevy LLC. All Rights Reserved.