This product (Progress Report Primer) is a 31-slide PowerPoint presentation (PPTX), which you can download immediately upon purchase.
There is little more embarrassing in business than communicating poorly to your boss – or your boss's boss. We have all experienced moments early in our careers where we have had to communicate with important people and not known how to go about it.
We marvel at those around us who can get to the right point quickly in so many circumstances and yet so often muff it ourselves.
Mostly, experience teaches us how to communicate clearly with aplomb, but sometimes that experience comes at a cost of embarrassment that we would prefer to avoid.
We have collated our experience of more than 40 years' of communicating and teaching others to communicate to provide you with this easy-to-use primer full of principles and templates to help you prepare your next progress report, or management update in three steps:
• Understand your audience
• Select the right argument structure
• Check your story works
We have also thrown in a link to a video that provides a quick snapshot of the structured thinking techniques that underpin the approach we have used to prepare the examples and templates in this pack.
The newly expanded pack is 31 pages in total and is separated into these three sections plus an appendix with some extra resources:
Understanding your audience
• Some simple and practical thoughts about tailoring your progress report for different types of people based on the Bolton and Bolton Work Styles approach
• A checklist to help you think about your audience before you start communicating (some questions to ask sorted into three categories, which focus on: who you audience really is, what they need from you and how you should tell them)
Selecting the right argument structure
• Five of the most commonly used storyline patterns, each accompanied by notes on when to use each one as well as a detailed example and a one-page neosi storyline template. The templates can be used to create your own one-pagers when you plan for your next update meeting or plan an email or more formal progress report.
Checking your story works
• An annotated example that demonstrates how you can convert your update from storyline form into an email
• A checklist to help you check whether you think your communication 'hits the right spot' for this particular audience this time
• A handy one-pager with the four most commonly used progress update storyline patterns
• Another bonus one-pager with five deductive storyline examples (given deductive structures are the hardest ones to get right)
• Access to a short online clarity module that provides an overview to the structured thinking theory that underpins this approach.
It was prepared by Clarity College, a group of communication specialists who were initially trained by McKinsey & Company and who now consult to a wide range of corporate, consulting and government clients globally.
Clarity First is a program for ambitious professionals who want to communicate complex ideas with compelling clarity.
We blend top-tier strategy consulting experience and techniques with deep cross-industry experience helping experts of all kinds engage their audiences so they get the responses they need more quickly.
Our documents are based upon structured thinking techniques including the Minto Pyramid Principle (R) learned while working as communication specialists with McKinsey & Company. We have then refined these ideas while consulting for a wide range of other top-tier corporates in Australia, the Asia Pacific region, the UK and the USA.
Since 2012, we have provided best practices to over 10,000 businesses and organizations of all sizes, from startups and small businesses to the Fortune 100, in over 130 countries.
Read Customer Testimonials
"Flevy is our 'go to' resource for management material, at an affordable cost. The Flevy library is comprehensive and the content deep, and typically provides a great foundation for us to further develop and tailor our own service offer."
– Chris McCann, Founder at Resilient.World
"As a small business owner, the resource material available from FlevyPro has proven to be invaluable. The ability to search for material on demand based our project events and client requirements was great for me and proved very beneficial to my clients. Importantly, being able to easily edit and tailor the material for specific purposes helped us to make presentations, knowledge sharing, and toolkit development, which formed part of the overall program collateral. While FlevyPro contains resource material that any consultancy, project or delivery firm must have, it is an essential part of a small firm or independent consultant's toolbox."
– Michael Duff, Managing Director at Change Strategy (UK)
"As a young consulting firm, requests for input from clients vary and it's sometimes impossible to provide expert solutions across a broad spectrum of requirements. That was before I discovered Flevy.com.
Through subscription to this invaluable site of a plethora of topics that are key and crucial to consulting, I have been able to exceed expectations and deliver quality advice and solutions to my clients. The quality and expertise of the authors are exemplary and gives me great confidence to use as part of my service offerings.
I highly recommend this company for any consultant wanting to apply international best practice standards in their service offerings. "
– Nishi Singh, Strategist and MD at NSP Consultants
"Flevy is now a part of my business routine. I visit Flevy at least 3 times each month.
Flevy has become my preferred learning source, because what it provides is practical, current, and useful in this era where the business world is being rewritten.
In today's environment where there are so many challenges and there is the need to make the right decisions in a short time, with so much scattered information, we are fortunate to have Flevy. Flevy investigates, selects, and puts at our disposal the best of the best to help us be successful in our work."
– Omar Hernán Montes Parra, CEO at Quantum SFE
"FlevyPro provides business frameworks from many of the global giants in management consulting that allow you to provide best in class solutions for your clients."
– David Harris, Managing Director at Futures Strategy
"My FlevyPro subscription provides me with the most popular frameworks and decks in demand in today’s market. They not only augment my existing consulting and coaching offerings and delivery, but also keep me abreast of the latest trends, inspire new products and service offerings for my practice, and educate me in a fraction of the time and money of other solutions. I strongly recommend FlevyPro to any consultant serious about success."
– Bill Branson, Founder at Strategic Business Architects
"As a consultant requiring up to date and professional material that will be of value and use to my clients, I find Flevy a very reliable resource.
The variety and quality of material available through Flevy offers a very useful and commanding source for information. Using Flevy saves me time, enhances my expertise and ends up being a good decision."
– Dennis Gershowitz, Principal at DG Associates
"One of the great discoveries that I have made for my business is the Flevy library of training materials.
As a Lean Transformation Expert, I am always making presentations to clients on a variety of topics: Training, Transformation, Total Productive Maintenance, Culture, Coaching, Tools, Leadership Behavior, etc. Flevy usually has just what I need to make my point.
It is well worth the money to purchase these presentations. Sure, I have the knowledge and information to make my point. It is another thing to create a presentation that captures what I want to say. Flevy has saved me countless hours of preparation time that is much better spent with implementation that will actually save money for my clients."
– Ed Kemmerling, Senior Lean Transformation Expert at PMG