Please login here to save this document to a list.
If you don't have an account, you can register for free here.
BENEFITS OF DOCUMENT
The financial model for a Trucking Company Financial Plan is designed to help trucking company owners, and investors make informed decisions about their business. It provides a comprehensive analysis and projection of the company's financial performance, allowing users to assess the viability and profitability of their trucking operations.
How the Model Works:
Revenue: The trucking business generates revenue streams based on forecasting the average number of miles a truck will be driven and the rate per mile charged to customers. This can be estimated by analyzing historical data, market demand, and projected customer volumes.
Costs: The model includes standard expenses such as fuel costs, driver wages, vehicle maintenance and repairs, insurance, toll fees, and administrative expenses. Users can easily add, remove, or adjust costs for operational needs. These costs are demonstrated through "components" to understand how costs contribute to the overall expenses.
Investments: Forecasting balance sheet transactions for trucking company investments can be simplified using the model. Users can set the percentage of funds from loans, cash, or business equity in the assumptions sheet to determine the financing structure. This allows flexibility in setting up funding processes for acquiring trucks or other assets through loans or equity investments.
Comparing Budget to Actual Expenses: The model includes a sheet where users can compare the actual performance of their trucking business against the initial forecast. This feature enables users to assess their financial performance, identify deviations from the projected figures, and adjust their strategies and budgets.
The model can be customized with specific data and assumptions relevant to the trucking company, making it a valuable tool for revenue projection, cost management, investment planning, and performance analysis.
Key Features :
The financial model for a trucking company shares similar characteristics to the one mentioned above. Here are the key features adapted for the trucking industry:
Input Sheets: The model provides assumption sheets where users can input key financial data for their trucking business. These inputs include revenue assumptions, capital expenditures for truck purchases, operating expenses such as fuel and driver wages, startup costs, and other critical financial information. Users can easily input data in the designated blue font cells, while the rest of the model utilizes formulas and labels to calculate results.
Flexibility: The model is designed to be flexible and adaptable to accommodate changes in the trucking industry or cater to the unique needs of a particular trucking operation. Users can modify assumptions and variables to reflect shifts in market conditions, regulatory changes, or business-specific requirements.
Auxiliary Sheets: Green sheets within the model perform auxiliary functions such as financial projections, debt analysis, and working capital projections. These sheets provide additional insights and calculations without requiring users to input extra information.
Output Sheets: Blue sheets in the model act as output sheets, offering a detailed view of the trucking business's financial performance based on the provided assumptions. These sheets provide comprehensive financial statements, cash flow projections, profitability metrics, and other relevant financial data to evaluate the business's performance.
Overall, the financial model for a trucking company offers a user-friendly interface, allowing users to input data, perform calculations, and obtain valuable insights into the financial aspects of their trucking operation.
1. Assumptions: This sheet contains all the assumptions that are used in the financial model, such as revenue assumptions, capex, opex, and startup costs.
2. Ops – Calculations of revenue, cogs, and Opex: This sheet contains the calculations for revenue, cost of goods sold (COGS), and operating expenses (Opex). The calculations are based on the assumptions provided in the Assumptions sheet.
3. Working Capital: This sheet calculates the business's working capital requirements, which is the money needed to run the business's day-to-day operations.
4. Debt Model: This sheet models the debt considering the funding assumptions.
5. Capex: This sheet models the capital expenditures required to start and grow the business, including the cost of equipment and property.
6. Mo-FS – Monthly Financial Statement: This sheet contains the monthly financial statements for the business, including the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement. These statements are based on the calculations performed in the Ops and Capex sheets. (in this sheet in the Cash flow Section, the user can set up the dividend payout if needed it)
7. Actual: This sheet is used to input actual data as it becomes available. This allows the business owner to compare actual performance against the forecasted performance and adjust their strategy as needed (the expenses must be inputted as negative values).
8. Annual Financial Statements: This sheet contains the annual financial statements for the business, including the income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statement. These statements are based on the monthly financial information in the Mo-FS sheet.
9. Summary – Executive Summary with Main Metrics: This sheet provides a summary of the primary metrics for the business, such as revenue, net income, and key ratios, allowing the business owner to assess the performance of the business quickly.
10. Breakeven Analysis: This sheet calculates the breakeven point for the business, which is the level of sales at which the company is neither making a profit nor a loss, allowing the business owner to understand the minimum sales needed to cover their costs.
11. Ratios – 20+ Ratios of All Kinds: This sheet provides a list of over 20 different financial ratios that can be used to assess the performance of the business. These ratios cover liquidity, profitability, debt, and activity.
12. Valuation Calculation: This sheet calculates the business's valuation using discounted cash flow; this allows the business owner to understand the potential value of their business and make informed decisions about its future.
13. Budget vs. Actual: This sheet compares the budgeted amounts and the actual amounts for the various financial metrics, such as revenue, expenses, and net income. The sheet also compares the actual amounts and the corresponding period from the previous year; this allows the business owner to understand how well the business is performing relative to their budget and historical performance.
14. Charts: The sheet also includes charts to help visualize the differences between the budgeted and actual amounts. These charts can help the business owner identify areas where the business is performing better or worse than expected and take action to address any issues.
Got a question about the product? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or ask the author directly by using the "Ask the Author a Question" form. If you cannot view the preview above this document description, go here to view the large preview instead.
Source: Best Practices in Integrated Financial Model, Transportation Excel: Freight Trucking Company Financial Plan Excel (XLSX) Spreadsheet, Jair Almeida
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: JAIR ALMEIDA
Working as a business controller, I am used to producing reports for management, analyzing performance indicators, and developing comparative analyses in terms of pricing and commercial offers. I'm always looking for creative ways to exceed expectations and deliver top-quality management information in order to identify what drives businesses.
Jair Almeida has published 30 additional documents on Flevy.
|Download our free compilation of 50+ Strategy & Transformation slides and templates. Frameworks include McKinsey 7-S Strategy Model, Balanced Scorecard, Disruptive Innovation, BCG Experience Curve, and many more. To receive this free download, enter your email address below and click the "Email Me" button.|
"As a niche strategic consulting firm, Flevy and FlevyPro frameworks and documents are an on-going reference to help us structure our findings and recommendations to our clients as well as improve their clarity, strength, and visual power. For us, it is an invaluable resource to increase our impact and value."
– David Coloma, Consulting Area Manager at Cynertia Consulting
"As an Independent Management Consultant, I find Flevy to add great value as a source of best practices, templates and information on new trends. Flevy has matured and the quality and quantity of the library is excellent. Lastly the price charged is reasonable, creating a win-win value for the customer, Flevy and the various authors. This is truly a service that benefits the consulting industry and associated clients. Thanks for providing this service. "
– Jim Schoen, Principal at FRC Group
"One of the great discoveries that I have made for my business is the Flevy library of training materials.
As a Lean Transformation Expert, I am always making presentations to clients on a variety of topics: Training, Transformation, Total Productive Maintenance, Culture, Coaching, Tools, Leadership Behavior, etc. Flevy usually has just what I need to make my point.
It is well worth the money to purchase these presentations. Sure, I have the knowledge and information to make my point. It is another thing to create a presentation that captures what I want to say. Flevy has saved me countless hours of preparation time that is much better spent with implementation that will actually save money for my clients."
– Ed Kemmerling, Senior Lean Transformation Expert at PMG
"I have used Flevy services for a number of years and have never, ever been disappointed. As a matter of fact, David and his team continue, time after time, to impress me with their willingness to assist and in the real sense of the word. I have concluded in fact that it is not at all just a repository of documents/resources but, in the way that David and his team manage the firm, it is like dealing with consultants always ready to assist, advise and direct you to what you really need, and they always get it right.
I am an international hospitality accomplished senior executive who has worked and lived during the past 35 years in 23 countries in 5 continents and I can humbly say that I know what customer service is, trust me.
Aside from the great and professional service that Flevy's team provide, their wide variety of material is of utmost great quality, professionally put together and most current.
Well done Flevy, keep up the great work and I look forward to continue working with you in the future and to recommend you to a variety of colleagues around the world."
– Roberto Pelliccia, Senior Executive in International Hospitality
"As a consultant requiring up to date and professional material that will be of value and use to my clients, I find Flevy a very reliable resource.
The variety and quality of material available through Flevy offers a very useful and commanding source for information. Using Flevy saves me time, enhances my expertise and ends up being a good decision."
– Dennis Gershowitz, Principal at DG Associates
"My FlevyPro subscription provides me with the most popular frameworks and decks in demand in today’s market. They not only augment my existing consulting and coaching offerings and delivery, but also keep me abreast of the latest trends, inspire new products and service offerings for my practice, and educate me in a fraction of the time and money of other solutions. I strongly recommend FlevyPro to any consultant serious about success."
– Bill Branson, Founder at Strategic Business Architects
"[Flevy] produces some great work that has been/continues to be of immense help not only to myself, but as I seek to provide professional services to my clients, it give me a large "tool box" of resources that are critical to provide them with the quality of service and outcomes they are expecting."
– Royston Knowles, Executive with 50+ Years of Board Level Experience
"As a consulting firm, we had been creating subject matter training materials for our people and found the excellent materials on Flevy, which saved us 100's of hours of re-creating what already exists on the Flevy materials we purchased."
– Michael Evans, Managing Director at Newport LLC
Do You Want to Get Lean?We've assembled 40 Lean Six Sigma guides: Lean Management, Six Sigma, Strategy Planning, Process, and Change Management.
Waste Too Much Time on PowerPoint?Get our FREE PowerPoint Plugin (Flevy Tools) for creating common business diagrams, from Gantt Charts to Harvey Balls.
Do You Run a Consulting Firm?Learn how to level the playing field with global consulting firms, like McKinsey, BCG, Bain, E&Y, and Accenture.
Need Help with PowerPoint or Excel?Have our highly trained staff create the exact documents you need. We offer PowerPoint and Excel document creation services.
FlevyPro (Subscription Service)
Flevy Executive Learning (FEL)
LinkedIn Influencer Marketing
Contact / FAQ / Terms / Privacy
flevyblog (Business Magazine)
Strategy, Marketing, & Sales
Organization, Change, & HR
Health & Safety
Governance, Risk, & Compliance
Customer-centric Design (CCD)
Human Resource Management
Blue Ocean Strategy
COVID-19 Trend Data
Consulting Training Guides
Organizational Culture (OC)
Organizational Design (OD)
Organizational Leadership (OL)
Financial Advising Services (FAS)
Flevy Tools (PowerPoint Plugin)
Lean Six Sigma Training Guides
Post-merger Integration (PMI)
Supply Chain Management (SCM)
Small Business Owner
© 2012-2023 Copyright. Flevy LLC. All Rights Reserved.